Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pixie 2 CW QRP Transmitter

I have tried making the Pixie 2 QRP transmitter on a perfboard and it didint work , i designed my own pcb for it and it didint work. Maybe it had something to do with me using BC547 as the two transistors required in the schematic or i could just have made a mistake in the design. Because i had all the parts for Pixie 2 laying around i googled around and found this nice website http://www.circuitswamp.org/projects/pixie2.html   . It has a very nice pcb design and clear instructions, so i made it with BC547 as Q2 and  for Q1 i used a random RF transistor i salvaged from somewhere, for the L2 i wound 8 turns around a FT50 ferrite ring . My pcb turned out mirrored (my mistake) so i had to bend the legs of the LM386 chip all the way to make it work on a mirrored pcb.
And it works! I have no idea what is the output power on this thing. And when listening on headphones you cant hear a single signal. I read that pixie 2 receiver is deaf, but it could be that there is not much activity on 3578khz (crystal freq) . If you want to know how it works read the text in circuitswamp.org link i gave  because im not an expert on these things. Wonder if its possible to make a contact with this thing here where i live.

No comments:

Post a Comment